Cairngorm Capital Case Studies
National Timber Group case study
National Timber Group is the largest specialist timber processing and distribution group in the UK formed through nine acquisitions in the last five years.
The Group operates through two divisions, Specialist Distribution and Specialist Manufacturing. The Specialist Distribution business supplies timber products from branches across the UK supported by value-added processing at two national production centres. Specialist Manufacturing produces engineered timber roofing solutions and fire-rated timber door-sets. The Group serves trade customers operating in the repair, maintenance and improvement of residential housing, in addition to housebuilders and contractors, and is a favoured supplier of large-scale infrastructure projects.
The Group has retained a number of strong customer-facing brands but operates as one integrated business under a single management team with deep industry expertise.
Our strategy is to create the leading UK consolidator in a fragmented market and a scalable platform for continued organic and acquisitive growth. We believe the increasing use of timber as a building product is an enduring theme due to its sustainable credentials and importance in modern methods of construction.
NTG today has over 60 branches and processing sites across the UK, with revenues of £350m and over 1,400 employees.
Visit the National Timber Group website at www.nationaltimbergroup.com
- Creation of NTG brand
- Recruitment of best-in-class management team
- Drive margin growth through centralised procurement
- Integration of systems / back office
- Expand geographic reach and specialist capabilities through acquisitions and new branch openings
- Continue to scale through further M&A
- Drive margin growth through optimising pricing strategy
- Investment in manufacturing base to increase capacity and operational efficiency
- Enhance digital proposition for trade customers